Hi again. It's that time of the year again: spring and just a few weeks to go before the end of the course and that means we have to pull our socks up and get ready for the hardest thing of all: EXAMS!!
There's only a month left and three units to cover in that short period of time so we'll be focusing on basic matters like grammar and vocabulary. The reading activities will be set for homework and we'll have to rush our way through the three units left. Still, I hope we'll have enough time to practise all the new contents and vocab.
Well, to keep you busy I'm posting below the test for unit 9. We haven't seen the grammar in class due to lack of time and to the fact that it was quite easy. I was more interested in the vocabulary and topic of the unit since it's one of the most common topics in the oral exams.
Straightforward Intermediate Unit Test 9
A Underline the word, a, b, or c that doesn’t belong with the container.
(1) a box of a) tissues b) eggs c) jam
(2) a bottle of a) milk b) tomato soup c) beer
(3) a can of a) peanuts b) cola c) lemonade
(4) a tub of a) margarine b) crisps c) ice cream
(5) a jar of a) jam b) coffee c) lemonade
(6) a packet of a) orange juice b) biscuits c) crisps
B Match the words in the box to the definitions (7–12). There are two extra words.
discount shop shop assistant security guard shopaholic
shoplifter corner shop shopping centre window-shopping
(7) someone who is addicted to shopping and buying things is a _______________
(8) when you look at lots of things but don’t buy anything you are _______________
(9) a big building with lots of different shops inside is called a _______________
(10) someone who steals things from a shop without paying is a _______________
(11) a shop where everything is cheaper than in a normal shop is a _______________
(12) someone who works in a shop helping customers is a _______________
C Complete the text with words from the box. There are three extra words.
advantage corner shops danger high street hurry
a look online-shopping our word trouble your breath
Are you in a (13) _______________? Then (14) _______________ at Eezeemall.com is the thing for you. Shop from the comfort of your own home and take (15) _______________ at what we can offer you. If you’ve heard bad things about Internet shopping, please take (16) _______________ that you are not in any (17) _______________ at all – security is our top priority. We also think that value for money is important and, because we don’t have any (18) _______________ shops you can take (19) ___________ of some of the lowest prices around.
D Complete the text with a, b, or c below.
Are you (20) _______________ modern man? Do you enjoy shopping for (21) _______________ food or simply eating the stuff? Most of (22) _______________ men I know hate food shopping, but, according to (23) _______________ National Office of Statistics there are (24) _______________ who really enjoy it. Recently I was talking to (25) _______________ husband of a friend and he told me that he really enjoyed shopping at his local supermarket. He said that he never had
(26) _______________ time to enjoy being with his wife as they were either at
(27) _______________ work or at home with their children. But, when they went shopping they had (28) _______________ of time to talk about (29) _______________ different things. He also said that he liked thinking about what he was going to eat and that there were (30) _______________ things that they ate now that they had never even tried before they started shopping together.
(20) a) the b) a c) Ø
(21) a) the b) any c) Ø
(22) a) the b) a c) Ø
(23) a) the b) some c) Ø
(24) a) too many b) any c) a few
(25) a) the b) some c) Ø
(26) a) enough b) plenty c) many
(27) a) the b) any c) Ø
(28) a) much b) many c) plenty
(29) a) any b) lots of c) few
(30) a) many b) the c) none
E Complete the sentences with the correct words.
(31) I don’t have enough / little time to go shopping.
(32) She spends too much / a few money on clothes.
(33) Have you looked at any / plenty of online-shopping websites?
(34) None of / Most of the shops had what I wanted, so I’ll have to try again tomorrow.
(35) Some / Any of my friends are shopaholics.
(36) A few / Few of the shops had what I wanted, so I was quite happy.
(37) I only spend a little / a lot of time shopping at the weekend.
(38) Most / Most of the time I spend relaxing.
(39) Most / None people enjoy buying new things.
F Correct the mistakes in the sentences. There is one mistake in each sentence.
(40) I’d like a money back.
(41) What to be the problem?
(42) You ask someone to help me?
(43) It’s a lot unacceptable.
(44) I think there’s a wrong with it.
(45) I’m that’s not good enough.
G Complete the conversation with phrases from the box.
afraid that’s not good enough there’s a problem
to be the problem to have my money back to the manager
A: Excuse me!
B: Yes, Sir. Can I help you?
A: I hope so. I bought this CD player here yesterday and I think (46) _______________ with it. It doesn’t seem to work.
B: Let me have a look? Mmm.
B: Have you dropped it?
B: Well, it’s broken, I’m afraid. I can’t replace it until next week.
A: Next week? I’m (47) _______________. Could I speak (48) _______________, please?
B: Of course, Sir.
C: What seems (49) _______________?
A: I bought this CD player here yesterday and it’s broken.
C: Ah! What would you like me to do?
A: I want (50) _______________.
C: Certainly, Sir.
Straightforward Intermediate Unit Test 9- Answer key
1 c) jam
2 b) tomato soup
3 a) peanuts
4 b) crisps
5 c) lemonade
6 a) orange juice
9 shopping centre
11 discount shop
12 shop assistant
15 a look
16 our word
18 high street
20 b) a
21 c) Ø
22 a) the
23 a) the
24 c) a few
25 a) the
26 a) enough
27 c) Ø
28 c) plenty
29 b) lots of
30 a) many
32 too much
34 None of
36 A few
37 a little
38 Most of
40 I’d like a money back refund. OR I’d like a my money back.
41 What to be is the problem?
42 Can you ask someone to help me?
43 It’s a lot totally unacceptable.
44 I think there’s a something wrong with it.
45 I’m sorry that’s not good enough.
46 there’s a problem
47 afraid that’s not good enough
48 to the manager
49 to be the problem
50 to have my money back